Prosperous New Year Stir Fry
Rice topped with onion, pomegranate, tofu, and pistachios that are all seasoned and coated in a delicious sauce makes for an incredible stir fry! (Recipe by Carol Kicinski)
- 6 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup pistachios chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cups cooked rice for serving
- Drain the tofu and wrap in a clean towel or paper towels. Press the tofu for at least 15 minutes by adding weight to it. Once pressed, cut the tofu into cubes.
- Combine 6 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes in a mixing bowl. Add the cubed tofu and toss gently. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the tofu from the marinade and pat dry. Toss the tofu with the cornstarch to coat. Reserve the marinade.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove the onion from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, let it heat up then add the tofu in one layer. Let the tofu cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Flip and brown 2 minutes on each side. Add the onions and reserved marinade back to the pan and cook, stirring gently, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Stir 1 teaspoon soy sauce into the yogurt. Serve the tofu mixture over rice topped with a dollop of yogurt, pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachios, and cilantro leaves.